Explorer Page
Click Here to see
requirements for the
Republic Award.
Click Here to see
requirements for the  
Award of Completion.
Joti Camp 14th - 15th October 2016.
On the 14th of October 2016, I attended
my first Joti weekend and It was an
awesome experience getting to know
my fellow scouts from all around the
World. The early morning of the 15th I
had to wake up with my patrol at 4am
to start talking to other scouts around
the world and trading Jid Codes. It was
really fun and can't wait until I do it
again. Kimon
Above: 53rd Explorers set up
and run the Halloween Party
for our Cubs and Scouts on
the 30th October 2016.
K1.5 Assault Hike 22nd  Oct 2016
On Saturday 22nd of October we went on our K1.5 hike up on the Troodos mountains.
The hike was 14km long and the total height gain from start to finish was 1.5km. We
started from Saita village early in the morning. It was quite easy at the beginning, the only
thing that bothered us was the cold wind but by the first check point we were all sweating.
Then came the most challenging part when we were climbing the steep side of the
mountain and because of the height we were really trying hard not to fall down.  Our patrol
reached the top first and then we tried to help the scouts, especially the younger ones and
the new ones, one by one to reach the top. We were out of breath until we reached check
point 2 and saw our fuchsia K1.5 T-shirts and we were really surprised by the colour but
excited to wear them! We had a break and we ate lots of snacks. After that we continued
our hike and by four o’clock we were the first patrol to reach Troodos Square. Ioanna A
Above: 53rd Explorers
helping at the St Barnabas
Church Fete.
Community Service.
On Saturday 30th Jan 2016 the
Explorers visited  the Theotokos
Foundation as part of their
Values badge.
Above: Explorers on the
Akamas Camp  July 2016.
53rd St Barnabas Scout Group
Explorer Camp Troodos 25th - 26th Sep 2016.
On Saturday morning the Explorers met at Moutayiaka scout hut, all ready for the traditional camp to welcome the
Wannabies, this year held in Troodos. We left the Scout hut at 9am. The first stop was the Geopark in Amaintos
and then off to the night spot. When we arrived in Troodos we had a small tour of the house we were staying in,
unpacked the minivan and sorted out the sleeping arrangements. We then changed, and went outside and sat
down in our patrols and talked about the activities in the year ahead and our badge requirements. After a while
we took a break, had juice and biscuits and continued with the requirements. About an hour later it got really cold
outside so we decided to go inside and finish off. When we finished we all had jobs assigned. Some to cook the
food, others to prepare the salad, others to tidy up, etc. Dinner was souvlakia! When dinner was ready we all got
our food and went to eat it in the living room. Dinner was perfect! We all sat next the fireplace, eating our food and
had music playing in the background. Later on we cleaned up and finished the night off with a movie. We ended
up watching two movies and then going to bed. The next morning we woke up at 8am, got our rucksacks ready,
ate breakfast, which was cheese toasties and cereal, and then went geocaching. Since the 53rd now has two
GPS’s we split up into two groups. It was a nice hike and my group found all the geocaches including a geocoin.
We then returned to the house, put our stuff in the minivan and headed back to Moutayiaka. It was a relaxing and
exciting camp, and I hope we go camping there again!   By Stephanie K (Wannabie).
Above: 53rd Explorers helping
at the Run in Colour event on
Saturday 8th Oct 2016.
Explorer Hike and Camp 5th - 6th November.
As any other camp would start, we all met bright and early on Saturday morning at the Germasogia Scout hut, with our over night gear as well
as our hiking bags. Each patrol was given a map, a challenge and sent off on their route. The first stop was at a monastery, where we spoke
to the Nuns there and they told us a little bit of it's History. Then we continued passing through an abandoned bus at the edge of the cliff,
which we all thought would make a good photo and got on it.( we survived)  After, we made our way through the mountains and into the
village ,  where we all had separate photo challenges to do here, and walked around the village collecting information and photos from there.
Finally we arrived at the  Germasogia dam where Skip and Ahmad were waiting for us to fill our water bottles and make it back to the scout
hut. We set up our tents, refreshed our selves, and got to rest a little before we started cooking dinner, Lasagna made in a Dutch Oven, which
was very very good! To finish off the night we had a campfire, where we all huddled up together, singing songs, sharing stories from our
scouting experiences and having a laugh before we went to bed, and slept like babies after such a busy day. The next morning, Skip, as
usual, woke us up at 6;30am , and we had to do exercise, the thing most ventures dread in the morning. However, after running up and down
that hill, we had a well deserved breakfast. Which was then followed by taking down the campsite, and packing everything up. Now that
everyone was wide awake, Ahmad and Skip announced our pioneering challenge, which was to build any animal with four legs using 10 or
more pioneering poles that could lift our entire patrol off the ground. Between the three patrols, we managed to build a spider, a giraffe and
what looked like a camel but was a turtle. Like every camp, we ended it by playing our annual game of baseball while waiting for our parents
came to pick us up. It was a very successful camp, and i think the wannabees and older ventures finally bonded as unit, and got a
requirement signed down for their awards! By Eleni.
Christmas Camp Platania 10th - 11th December 2016.
Our Christmas camp didn't start so much as a camp but a hike, we went up by
minibus to the start point and then altogether set off on our adventure , while
hiking we saw some beautiful views and found a geocache (which wasn't easy
to find) and then finally when we reached the finish, we had our lunch and then
Above: Best Explorer for
2016, Nicholas Ramsay.
Above: 53rd Leaders and
Explorers having fun at
Escape on the 19th Dec 2016.
Above: 53rd Explorers test
new designs for Towers. The
goal is to build a Campsite
off the Ground.
Above: 53rd Explorers on the
Lantern March on the 27th Oct.
went to our next activity which was paintballing! where we had loads of fun and where I shot Skip in
the face! (I had to say it). Then we went orienteering which was something none of us had ever done
but all loved. After finishing our activities we left to meet everyone already at the camp. When we got
there we settled down in our rooms for some warmth. After a bit of relaxing we went to discuss our
programs to come and vote on Explorer of the year and finally we had dinner and set up for a movie.
After  watching the movie we all went to bed for an early morning. The next day we woke up, got ready
and prepared ourselves for the cold to come. When we had breakfast all the explorers took the Cubs
on a small hike to the waterfall, where we looked for another geocache but unfortunately couldn't find it. Once we arrived back at the camp, we helped with the scouts
pioneering a bit and then after helping packed up all the equipment and got ready for the bus to come  closing a great weekend in the cold full of fun!  By Anastasia.
Trip to the Snow 14th Jan 2017.
We met at the scout hut around 7:30am and made our way to the snow by mini bus. We
arrived at Troodos Square about 9am. There was a lot of snow, which was up to our
knees. First thing we did was separate into two teams and build igloos. The one patrols
could only fit 2 people while ours fit 4 !!! Unfortunately skip decided to climb on ours and
broke it. Then we built snowmen and me ,Kimon and Steph.K  won, so we got
milkshakes!  After, we went sliding on our bums down the snow before we got on the
warm bus and headed home. By Max.
Trip to Larnaca 4th - 5th Feb 2017.
Our camp started on Saturday the 4th of February at 7:20 in the morning when we all
met up in the molo car park to leave our stuff in the mini van we then walked opposite to
catch the 7:30 bus to Larnaca. The bus ride to about an hour and a half and we arrived
at Larnacas pier and from there we made our way to the Pierides museum which used
to be the bank of Cyprus. Afterwards we visited the  9th centuary  orthodox church of
Saint Lazaros  as well as the medieval castle of Larnaca which we found partically
interesting due to its cannons and its history. By the time we done all this it was 12:00
and we had free time to explore and eat till 1:30 when we had to get another bus to get
to our camp in Dhekelia. We arrived there at 2:30 and our first concern was to set up our
tents after that we continued on our programme with games , later on we after dinner we
had camp fire followed by a movie that most of us didn't get to watch cause we fell
asleep. The next day we were up at 8:00 had breakfast and continued the day games
and other activities until we had lunch and the cars came and collected us and we left
the camp and arrived back in Limassol at around 4:00. Joanna M
Collecting Bone Marrow Samples
On Friday afternoon 6 explorers went to the district scout building for a presentation about why bone marrow is important to save people's lives and
told us the process they go through to find matches for people in need of a bone marrow transplant. This process started off by taking a sample of
their saliva by swabbing their cheeks, after this was done information had to be filled out about their medical history and personal  information, once
this was done they told us that they take it to a lab to be tested and see if they can find a match. It was very interesting and Informative and the next
day we put everything we'd learnt into action. Two explorers went to one of the collecting areas in jumbo where for 4 hours they were collecting swab
samples and taking down personal information of potential bone marrow donors alongside with a leader who came to help, this was also
happening in the mall. It was an interesting experience, where we could really make a difference. All in all at the end of the day over 50 swabs were
collected which will all go to the organisation to see if they can find a match for someone in need.  Anastasia (Explorer)
Miandros One. Planting Trees 12th Feb 2017.
We all met at the Scout District building, along with the rest of the Explorers around Limassol
who are working towards their Republic Award, and got on the bus heading towards Soleas.
Here, we joined another 300 Explorers from all over and separated into sections all around
mountain tops to plant trees. We were given a pot plant, a stick, and began planting endless
rows of trees. With a lot of teamwork, and the Forest station's help, we managed to plant over
1,300 trees, which was a massive success! Afterwards they took us to the village of Evrikou
where we were given lunch. Then we sat in a school in separate groups, where  the Civil
Defence department spoke to us, explaining the basics of First aid and what they're job
actually entails. After such an eventful Sunday, we came back to Limassol and ticked off one
more requirement, getting us closer to completing our Republic Award. By Eleni ( Explorer ).
Survival and Backwoods Man Meeting 19th Feb 2017.
We spent our Saturday learning survival skills and what to do when we find ourselves alone,
without technology, with little food and water, in an unknown place. Alex gave a very interesting
presentation; we got a taste of how difficult/challenging it is to survive in nature and of being aware
of all the dangers. The first thing we have to do is send S.O.S messages. We can do this by
shooting a red flare, or using flashlight, or signal mirror, or fire and smoke. Then we talked about
how to make the perfect shelter to survive a night in the wilderness and what equipment to use and
what to avoid. At noon we were taught how to cook the perfect lunch for a day in the wild: egg in an
orange, or meat with cheese in a potato. All the ventures had so much fun cooking but it was even
more fun eating them! Afterwards Alex showed us how to build a structure to carry an injured
person. Guess who was on the structure. Then Alex showed us how to filter dirty water and turn it in
to safe and clean. Lastly Alex showed us how to make smoke bombs with ping-pong balls and
aluminum foil. We had so much fun that day and now we are ready to survive in woods. By  Ioanna
Night Hike and One day hike 17th - 18th March 2017.
The 53rd Explorers enjoyed the night hike on Friday 17th March. The
route started from the night spot in Silikou Village to Kouka, then Pera
Pedi and back to Silikou from Ayia Mavri. Dinner was at the last check
point, as usual the 53rd out door kitchen serving Spaghetti
Polonaise. All were back in Camp and in tents at 1am. The next day
the Explorers cook breakfast and started their challenging one day
hike getting them ready for the Three and Four day hikes coming up.
Above: 53rd Explorers take
part in the Jambowlree 2017
on Saturday 25th Feb.
Above: 53rd Explorers take part
in the Thinking Day Church
service on the 22nd Feb.
Mini Football Feb and March 2017
The Explorer met every Tuesday at the Mezzea mini football pitches in Agia Fylia.  Each week we started with a
small warm up and then did some small exercises to help with football basics such as passing, shooting and
dribbling. We would finish the sessions with a small game. Some players who played football regularly helped the
others who weren't so experienced to improve their skills. Some of the most rewarding things were seeing how
much everyone improved and also to see the smile on all our faces as we enjoyed the beautiful game. By Mac
Above: 53rd Explorer raft race
4th June 2016.
Three day hike 24th - 26th March 2017.
Day 1. We met at Mountayiaka scout hut at 3pm on Friday. Then we all left together in cars to the start the hike. Once we
arrived at the start we began to hike. The first day luckily was only 5km until Omodhos Village which was where we were
camping. Once we got there we set our tents relaxed a bit and then started dinner which was mash potato and
sausages. After dinner we cleaned everything and went to sleep.
Day 2. We woke up at around 7am had breakfast and made a packed lunch for each one of us then quickly packed up the
tents because we had to start hiking at 8am. Once we started hiking we passed through the amazing countryside and to
the lovely old villages. We were off to Agios Georgios because that is where we were going to spend our second night.
After hiking 17 km we finally reached Agios Giorgios, we set up our tents and then started dinner which was spaghetti
bolognaise it was delicious.  After that is was time for bed because we had a long day to come.
Day 3. We woke up again around 7am had breakfast and then packed our tents and off we went for the last 17km of the
three day hike. We again walked around the countryside. After hours of hiking we had arrived at a church, with a view of
Lania,were we had a break and had lunch that we made that morning.  After lunch we started hiking again but luckily it
was nearly all downhill which was a big help because we had all had sour shoulders from hiking with 15 kilo rucksacks.
Finally, as we turned round the last bend and saw skip and all the cars there and we knew that it was the finish. It was
the best feeling ever, I was also very happy that all of us finished it safely and altogether.By Bridget ( Explorer ).
Thales Challenge 2017, Four day hike 8th - 11th April.
In the beginning we were taken for a 1 and a half hour drive to the starting point which north of Polis. We then set off with high
hopes to the Village of Philousa. As time went on, it got harder and harder but we kept going. It was very enjoyable and we finally
arrived at our 1st campsite. We set up tents, played some games and had fun. We began to cook (Noodles and Sauce) and as
soon as we finished it started to rain. The calm sounds of the rain then made us fall asleep and it was soon the second day.
We woke up at 6am sharp and slowly came out of our tents to make breakfast (Cheese Toasties). As soon as we ate we packed
and headed off. We knew today would be the hardest of the 4 and we began walking whilst taking in the beautiful scenery. We
eventually came to a water fountain which was our salvation, after walking in the scorching sun, and we continued on our difficult,
continuously uphill journey. We arrived at Galataria and we were greeted by the kind Mayor and we set up tents and again started to
cook immediately (Spaghetti and Sausages). We were even more tired today and we feel asleep instantly.
It was a perfect, calm, sunny day and we ate our breakfast (Cereal). We set off as soon as we could and began our penultimate
journey to Nata. The scenery was even more beautiful today however the pictures don't capture the beauty. Even though we had
less weight and an easier journey today, it was harder due to the distances we hiked the days before. We still pushed onward and,
ahead of schedule, we arrived at Nata after a long uphill. We then relaxed as we were extremely tired and played some games. We
then set up tents but had to move them to the other side of the building due to strong winds. We also set up a fire and cooked our
food and we soon went to bed.
We woke at 6 again and procrastinated but we eventually got up. We ate breakfast (Pita-Sweet Bread and Cereal bars). Tents and
equipment were packed and we set off as soon as we could for our last journey of the hike. We took in the breath-taking view as we
walked towards Pafos Airport. We wanted to get there as soon as we could and our motivation levels were at a high so in less than
3 and a half hours we arrived at our finish with smiles on our faces and milkshakes in our mind. By Christopher (Explorer)
Above: Hikers at the start Argaka Village.

Below: Hikers at the finish, Pafos Airport.